Sunday, February 20, 2011

MLL #5 See John Mayer Live

I’ve been a fan of his since I was 17 years old. I remember the initial attraction was his voice, I thought it was the sexiest sound on Earth. I used to listen to his records without really understanding what he was saying, just getting lost in the sound. For my 19th birthday my boyfriend at the time had gotten me tickets to John Mayer’s Continuum tour. We broke up before the concert and since he had the tickets I never got to go. I had been dying to see him live ever since.

Everyone has someone. Someone who makes you smile even when you don’t want to. Someone who makes all the bad day’s worth it. Someone who just makes you feel like everything is going to be ok. For me, John Mayer is that someone. I want to justify what most people call an ‘obsession’. I love John Mayer, not only because his music is good but because as I got older and I actually started listening to his lyrics and grasping what he was saying, I found someone who understood. But at the end of the day, I guess I am obsessed.
I added “See John Mayer Live” to my Life List because I needed to see him with my own eyes, in the flesh. I didn’t know why. I needed to know that he was as good as he seemed. I needed to know that he was real. Also, I just needed to be near him, in the same space, breathing the same air.


I remember cutting my Anthropology class the morning ‘Battle Studies’ came out so I could download it off iTunes. Not long after, the tour dates were released. And February 21st 2010, my friend, Hinga and I went to the Wachovia Center in south Philly to see John Mayer. It felt like a first date. I felt as though I knew this man, inside and out, and we were finally taking that next step in our relationship. And I knew the moment I walked into the arena that this show was going to be a hit or miss. Like when you cross the line with someone who’s always been just a friend, you think, this will either be the best decision of my life or it’s gonna go up in smoke and either way there is no turning back. I was nervous. What if he sucked live? Would I be able to still love him the same? We were on the right side of the stage, kind of in the nose bleed area. Then the lights went out. Strobe lights came on and I could make him out walking on the stage & for a moment I couldn’t breathe. He was real. In a zip-up hoody, guitar in hand, ‘Heartbreak Warfare’ started to play and I knew in an instant, it was the best decision of my life. It was an amazing show. And the first of many Mayer shows I would attend.

No comments:

Post a Comment